Really Think About It

Few days ago, I was visiting one of my friend’s house and we were about to have lunch.  There were numerous dishes and items to eat, enough to feed our entire class. They prepared a humongous lunch for mere 10 people or so. After we were done eating, there was so much of food left. The very next day, they had to trash the food because some of it was going bad. Yet, they again prepared a really big meal the following day. Although they did accept that they feel bad trashing it away, but who else could eat if their family couldn’t finish it. I was very upset and surprised thinking that if they know that there aren’t as many people to eat, then why would you cook so much.

I see similar cases on campus, usually at events, when people trash a good amount of clean (almost packed) food once the event ends. I am sure many of you have witnessed such cases as well, probably at buffets or gatherings. We all know the solutions to this problem, but do we apply those solutions every time we see food getting wasted?

I’d be lying if I say I don’t waste food at all; however, I do always look for other options than trashing my food in the bin. Often times my friends would make a comment about me being too nagging on not wasting food, but it doesn’t stop me from stopping them from wasting their food. I suggest them to either give it to someone else or take it in a box home if not for yourself than your siblings/roommates. I also hear people saying that it doesn’t look good taking food back in a box if you’re in a posh/fancy restaurant. I do not think wasting food elevates your status as well. Really think about it, how many other resources (money, transportation, time, food, poverty, etc.) you can save by just saving your remaining lunch for your dinner.

07_starving african

Works Cited:

http://www.rubiocartoons.com/2012/01/dont-waste-food-while-people-are.html

14 thoughts on “Really Think About It”

1. I think that wasting food is a big problem for our life style. It’s amazing how much is wasted on campus. At the UC when I put up my plates after eating it’s crazy seeing how much food is on the conveyor belt that isn’t eaten. Some of the plates don’t even looked like they were touched. Most people do not even think about how much they are wasting and just take for granted that there is unlimited food pretty much.

2. Campus dining measured the amount of food that was wasted at the UC in the busiest 90 minutes of the day and it turned out to be well over 100 pounds of food. I think we take more than we can eat because our consumptive lifestyle has bred us to wonder if what we have is enough or not.

3. If the food we waste on campus can’t be saved and sent elsewhere to shelters or other places, then why not have a compost trash bin? It might not help solve hunger issues we face, but it is still better than just dumping it, and helping the environment.

4. You bring up a very good point! I’m sure we are all guilty of wasting food, I know I am. I am about to be getting married, and am just now learning how to really cook for 2. I know that I personally have experienced a learning curve, and it’s taken me a while to figure out how to gauge the proper amount food to prepare without having to waste any. It takes a while to learn, but it’s so critically important.

5. You should check out this video – John Oliver Last Week Tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8xwLWb0lLY

It talks about the amount of food that we waste, and how it affects our environment. But more than that, it talks about the reasons WHY we waste food, both at the individual level and in grocery stores or food markets. It covers the idea of aesthetics in our food choices and our consumption. We tend to think, actually, that the amount of food we present – especially if you are having guests over – is indicative of the “goodness” of the food. When there is only a little bit of food, it symbolizes that there is not enough, or that the food that is left has something wrong with it. And I totally see your point. Recently, whenever my boyfriend and I go out to eat, we split one meal. Most of the time, they give you too much food for just one person, and splitting the food makes less waste and you do not over indulge yourself.

6. I was raised a little differently and I think that’s where it starts. “We don’t waste food in this house” should be more of a mindset here in America. Just buy a little less and make it do… I see a lot of impulsive buying at the grocery store so maybe the packaging and media (commercials) are to blame for their flashy consumer traps.

7. i really respect your ideas in this post i agree that as a developed country we waste too much food. It always reminds me of how in the books The Hunger Games the capital has an over abundance of food and even sells drinks that make you throw up so that you can eat more, while the lower districts have barely any food to sustain themselves.

8. I have become more aware of the problem of wasting food since I began living with my grandmother. Her roommate is very concerned about letting food spoil, and is constantly nagging people to finish it. The problem with this however, is that she is the one buying food in excess. Not only is it important to limit what you fix so you don’t throw it away, but it is also important to limit what you’re buying from the store. Only buy what you know you will eat.

9. I know that I have seen campus dining start to weigh the amount of food that is going to waste at the UC. After I saw that I began to realize how much I usually wasted and have now started to get smaller portion sizes as a means of reducing my waste.

10. Very interesting post. I think food waste is a problem that can be easily fixed. If we control our portions more so that we don’t make more than we can eat, then there would be much less waste.

11. I think food wasting is a big thing and now the UC has started weighing our food. I understand where they are coming from, but it is also their fault too. The portions can be too much or not enough as well as the food is not that good and if you ask for a sample during a busy time they will not be happy. Overall I think we need to start watching out for our food waste, but also, if we eat too much food we can just save it for another day instead of throwing it out.

12. At the UC they’re required to throw away a plate of food if someone besides the server has touched the plate, not even the food. It’s crazy to think how much is wasted just from that. In my apartment, I’m a vegetarian but my roommate aren’t, and they buy a lot of meat that they can’t eat in time before it starts going bad, and then they end up throwing away a quarter pound of beef. They don’t mean to waste food, it just happens, but we really do need to plan ahead and make sure we don’t buy too much.

13. i am with you one hundred and ten percent on this. it really amazes me when i’m in the UC how much food people waste. there’s always a bunch of people throwing away entire plates of food. i really bothers me that all that food is just going in the trash but i feel as if there’s nothing i can do about it. it’s a very sad thing to see.

14. This is a very interesting point you’re making. If we did indeed saved the food we usually waste on campus we could send it to shelters. Although it might not completely solve the hunger issues the world faces today it is still a start.